Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The wayward blogger...

The blog that was…. Well, it was started with good intentions but hasn’t seen the light of day since… time, resistance, unfamiliarity, privacy issues…all sorts of reasons, excuses, procrastinations. They are all being vanquished now!  Not to say that there will always be regular submissions but this wayward blogger will attempt to be more verbose from now on.

I am in the midst of a 10 month yoga teacher training course that started in September. It is like coming home again. I grew up around yoga – my mother being the one of the first people to teach it in the US and the first on the west coast. I have not been involved with yoga though since my 20’s. I was thinking it would be nice to start practicing again. However, I felt intimated to do so since the impression I had of yoga studios was that of catering to young, svelt, flexible, tiny people. I thought it would be great if there was yoga for all ages and sizes. I didn’t think it existed. I did some research and lo and behold, found a studio in Seattle that offers a round bodies class, an over 50’s class, a class for real people and more. It was like finding a gold mine!  However, I could not find anything similar in my own community. So I decided, as a pay it forward project, to take the teacher training course offered there in order to be able to offer yoga to people of all sizes and all ages near my home. I am enrolled at Whole Life Yoga – see www.wholelifeyoga.com. It is an amazing center with a variety of classes for all types of people and conditions and abilities.

Thanks to Dr. Pat and the holistic makeover offered by her radio show, Talk Radio to Thrive By! (www.thedrpatshow.com) I am participating in a program called Take Shape for Life. It is based on the Medifast program. It provides you with 5 meals plus you have one meal of lean protein and vegetables a day (more on the details later). I have a coach, Dan Martin. Check out his site: www.danmartin.tsfl.com. I haven’t been on it very long but so far have lost more in under two weeks as I typically lose in a month or more.  I’ve never tried anything like this before. It is easy because almost everything is provided for you but it does take an attitude change and a strong desire. I have never been a fan of shakes  – the only ones I’ve been able to tolerate before are those by Isagenix, but these are good too. They provide packets that reconstitute into soups, chili, puddings, snacks (bars, pretzels, etc.), pancakes, eggs and more. Just like all food, some I like, some I don’t.

I just got back from a conference and was of course wondering how I would manage there. I was able to take some packets on the trip with me. Although I wasn’t by any means perfect – that is not something I can or want or am able to demand of myself – I did much better than I would’ve been without the program in my life. I found that when I took a plate of food – and omg, there was food constantly – I ate very little. It didn’t taste as good as I thought it would and I got full quickly.

Part of this journey is about being good to myself and caring for myself. That includes forgiveness and acceptance while at the same time respecting and honoring my choice to accept this gift and making it work. I’m going to do the best I can. I am going to be healthier. I wouldn’t need a program like this if I was able to always make the right choice or do the right thing. It’s a tool, a program, an opportunity and I’m going to use it, learn from it, achieve with it and live it day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment